Kitchen tidiness is a compulsory quality in all healthy cooking spaces. Clean dishes are an attributing factor to kitchen cleanliness. Utensils can be done either manually or by use of the best dishwashers. Whirlpool dishwasher is a commonly used dishwasher as it not only features a high standard design but also beats other types of dishwashers in terms of high performance and durability.
Whirlpool dishwashers face a common problem whereby they fill with water. This problem occurs when the wash pump does not circulate the water, an error caused by a blocked filter. Although the work of a dishwasher is to clean, we regularly need to ensure that it can do the cleaning by cleaning the filter. Today we look at the various ways to clean the filter on your whirlpool dishwasher for effective results.
Why cleaning the filter of your dishwasher is a necessity
Best countertop dishwashers are ideal due to their high cleaning performance, which is dependable on the filter. The simple operation of a dishwasher is that it runs water cycles or, as one might say, circulates water with the help of a wash pump. A clean filter achieves proper water circulation, as the cycle becomes a straightforward procedure once the water is filtered.
The dishwasher filter protects the pump from clogging up by foreign objects. Cleaning the filter keeps the dishwasher from circulating and sticking dirt back to your dishes. Dirty filters tend to reduce the high-performance quality of the whirlpool dishwasher, which may be very frustrating.
When should you clean your filter?
Knowing when to clean your filter can significantly improve the operation of a dishwasher. A dishwasher filter needs cleaning when:
- There is degradation in the overall cleaning performance
- Unwanted particles or soil-like particles assemble on the upper filter
- Dishes feel gritty to the touch
- Cloudy visual on glassware washed by the dishwasher
Cleaning your dishwasher filter is a surprisingly easy task and is not as time-consuming as many might think. We have taken the initiative to systematically detail how to clean your filter, as shown below.
How to clean the filter on your whirlpool dishwasher: Effectively
Effective cleaning your filter is a procedure that involves three significant steps. They include:
Step one: Access your filter
- Access your dishwasher filter by removing the lower dish rack and exposing the bottom part of the dishwasher. The filter can be either permanently fixed or removable. The location of the filter can be at the back corner or bottom spray arm
- If the filter is removable, remove it using the named procedure below.
- The filter consists of two parts: the upper and lower assembly. Turn the upper part clockwise and pull it out
- Proceed to lift and gently push the lower filter to remove it.
Step two: Clean the filter
Methods to clean the dishwasher’s filter may vary depending on the type of dirt. Some of the ways that you can use to clean your filter include:
1. Use vinegar and baking soda
Clear any bits of food or debris like glass, vegetables, or pieces of paper on the lower part of the filter. Clear the clogs or any other obstructions.
For a fixed filter, pour approximately 2 cups of white vinegar into a glass cup and set it upright on the lower rack. Run a normal cycle to clean the inside of the dishwasher. Proceed to randomly sprinkle about 1 cup of baking soda in the bottom part and initiate a hot water cycle.
For a removable filter, first, scrub the filter with white vinegar and rinse it with clean water. Scrub the second time using baking soda and rinse with hot water for fresh smelling dishwasher.
2. Using dishwasher cleaner
The dishwasher cleaner has a specific formula that helps to remove lime scale and mineral buildups in dishware. When running normal loads, the cleanser helps to descale glassware, the cloudiness that tends to form on glassware after cleaning.
Clear the filter of any food bits and removable particles like popcorn kernels. Place one tablet in the detergent tray and another at the bottom of the dishwasher for effective results. Proceed to run a normal wash cycle, and that is it.
Step three: Reinstall your filter
Reinstalling the filter after cleaning is an essential procedure as it determines the future working of the dishwasher. The steps below indicate how to reinstall your filter correctly.
- Place the lower filter of the dishwasher tub on the bottom side and ensure that it fits so that it leaves a gap for the upper part of the filter.
- Place the upper filter in the gap left by the lower part
- Rotate the filter continuously in a clockwise direction until it glides in place. Note that if the filter continues to turn freely after the glide, then it is not seated correctly; thus, keep turning it in a clockwise direction till it completely locks
Tips to know and use during filter cleaning
- When removing the deposited particles on the filter, please do not use a wire brush or anything rough as it could destroy the filter
- Note; do not run the dishwasher without ensuring that the filter is in its appropriate position, as a loose filter could damage your dishwasher.
- The arrow indicator on the upper filter must not line up with the lower arrow. As long as the filter locks, then the filter will operate optimally.
Dishwashers come into direct contact with our food; thus, as much as we might yearn not to consume germs and dirt, we have to fully understand that the first step in accomplishing that has to be using a clean and high-performing dishwasher. Cleaning the dishwasher filter now and then can help achieve that.
Whirlpool dishwasher has made their filters easy to access and simple to clean as they understand how important it is for them to be clean. The steps shown above are a progressive stride to make you start cleaning your filter for a better kitchen environment and, most notably, for better health.
Read more blog: How to clean dishwasher drain hose with easy steps