Buying a gas range for your kitchen can be a hard task if you don’t know how to do it right. Therefore, the knowledge of how to choose a gas range for your kitchen is important if you are to get the best gas range in the market.
Here, we’ll take you through the process of buying a gas range and the important things about the features, style, and performance of a gas range.
Gas or Electric?
Even before you start thinking about anything else, you need to answer the question as to whether you will be using gas or electricity. If your house does not have a gas supply, the choice becomes pretty simple. However, if you have a gas supply, you must decide on whether you will use gas or electricity. Remember, your decision will impact the performance, safety, and budget. Here are a few considerations that can guide you on this matter:
- Popularity: if you are looking for a popular option, then an electric gas range would be an ideal choice. This is because of the combination of price and performance. About 60% of gas ranges sold are electric.
- Budget: another top consideration that separates the two options is the budget. Electric ranges are less expensive than gas ranges. However, the operational costs of gas ranges are lower than electricity.
- Cooking preferences: whatever is that you will be cooking also impacts the decision of the kind of gas range that you choose for your kitchen. therefore, you should listen to your inner thoughts about your cooking.
Types of Ranges and Costs
Whilst gas ranges can be classified into many categories, there are three common ranges i.e. gas, electric, and dual-fuel. All these types must have:
- A stovetop with four burners
- An oven
If you want to make your gas range look like it’s part of the cabinetry, you can ask an appliance dealer to offer you:
- Slide-in ranges: eliminates gas between the cabinets because the edges of the cooktops rest on the cabinets. They are available in all ranges.
- Drop–in ranges: they are fitted in the cabinetry through the opening of the cabinet panel at the bottom. You can only get drop-in ranges for electric-powered ranges.
You can get your ideal type from NXR ranges.
1. Electric Ranges
Electric ranges are among the most popular options that you have. Further to choosing this option, you must select one of the three cooktop heating elements i.e.
- Coil-top models
- Smooth-top models
- Induction-top models
We’ll highlight each, providing the pros and cons.
This option is characterized by exposed heating elements. Amongst the options that you have, they are the cheapest ($389-$650). They are available in either black or white. Some cool features include:
- Porcelain-enamel finish
- Indicator lights that show when the heating element is on
- Dials and knobs
- Digital temperature display
- Large oven windows
Some drawbacks of this option include:
- Heating elements take too long to heat or cool
- Indicator lights only function when the range is switched on
- Sometimes heat is distributed unevenly.
They sell best because of their performance, looks and great price. They retail from about $500.
- Self-cleaning functions
- Indicator lights
- Warming centers that keep food warm before serving
- A fifth heating element
- Prone to scratching
- The glass-ceramic surface may bond with overheated metal cookware.
Popularly known for speedy cooking. The burners in these models use magnetic technologies to generate heat, which makes it fast. The prices range from $1,200 to $3,200.
- It has control lockouts, preventing accidental turning on of the range
- Warming drawers
- Baking elements
- Touch screen
- Some pots may not be compatible with this range
- Very expensive.
2. Gas Ranges
Another great option is the gas range. It is an option that you can readily find at thor gas range. One of the top reasons why people choose this range is because of the visible flame that can be controlled when cooking.
If you don’t know how to choose a gas range, you need to ask yourself the kind of cooking that you will be doing in your kitchen. If you will be heavily engaged in cooking that requires flame and uniform heating, then you need a gas range option. Some benefits that you get include:
- Compatible with all cooktops
- Low operating costs
One of the top questions that people asking when looking at the gas range is the heat output. You can get this information from zline range service page. They retail from around $400. The price can go high depending on the brand and range of features presented.
When buying the gas ranges, you have the option of standard models, mid-range models, and premium models. These models are differentiated by the heat output, which is described in Btu (British thermal units).
3. Dual-Fuel Ranges
Another option that you can have if you don’t know how to choose a gas range is the dual-fuel range. This combines both gas and electric power. The electric oven can be used for baking while the gas for flamed cooking.
Dual-fuel ranges come at a premium price ranging from $2,000 to $7,500.
Some of the top features that may push you to pick this gas range include:
- Five burners
- Electric ovens
- Touch screen controls
- Wi-Fi enabled.
Top Features that You Should Have in Mind When Choosing a Gas Range
Whilst there are many features, here is a list of the top features that you should consider whenever choosing a gas range for your kitchen:
Rack positions: You need lots of rack positions for more room in the oven. Many rack positions allow you to have tall items in the oven.
Hot surface lights: This unique feature lets you know if the burner area is heated so that you don’t touch it. It is a safety feature found in most high-end gas ranges.
Double ovens: If you cook or bake a lot, you might want to choose a gas range that has a double oven. With this, you can cook multiple items at different temperatures.
Warming drawers: Keeps your food warm while you wait to serve.
Self-cleaning cycle: Reduces the amount of time you take in cleaning the gas range.
If you don’t know how to choose a gas range for your kitchen, you should use the tips provided above as your guide. Remember, you need to consider key factors such as budget, performance, and style. If you follow this guide, then you will get a perfect gas range for your kitchen.