These days, everyone understands the benefits of eating healthy. However, a good number of people are not familiar with the fact that some cookware materials are not safe. It doesn’t matter how nutritious and healthy the food you are preparing is. If you use toxic cookware, it can lead to severe health complications.
Granite stone cookware is increasingly becoming popular because of its many benefits. But is granite stone cookware good for your health? Keep on reading to find out.
Is Granite Stone Cookware Good for Your Health?
Let’s start with a brief overview of what granite stone cookware is. Granite is a material that’s mainly associated with luxury kitchens. You will find it on modern countertops. However, these days, there are pans and pots coated with granite. Granite cookware tends to be non-stick and conducts heat fairly well.
Granite stone cookware is considered one of the safest and most durable materials in the market. However, not all granite stone cookware pans are safe. These pans comprise of three layers; the induction base, core, and non-stick coating. The latter is what heavily determines whether a granite stone pan is safe or not.
The best granite stone cookware that is good for your health shouldn’t contain either PTFE (Polytetrafluoroethylene) or PFOA (perfluorooctanoic acid). These are ingredients known for their non-stick and heat conductivity properties. It’s also a good idea to choose a pan that is lead-free as well. When shopping for cookware made out of granite stone, you must be very keen about the ingredients used.
What are the Dangers of PFOA and PTFE Granite Stone Cookware?
Above, we have mentioned that granite stone cookware is safe. However, we also mentioned that granite stone pans made with PTFE and PFOA are dangerous. What are the risks of using a granite stone pan made with these two ingredients?
They Produce Toxic Fumes
These two ingredients release toxic fumes when they reach a temperature of 480 degrees F. If inhaled, these fumes can lead to breathing difficulties. For many homeowners, you may assume that you won’t reach such high temperatures when cooking. But you will be surprised at how much heat is needed to prepare some meals. Also, isn’t it better to be safe than sorry?
There is a Good Chance of Ingesting Teflon-Coated Chips
Please note that Teflon is the brand name for PTFE. Therefore, they are the same thing. PTFE-coated granite stone pans tend to chip easily. As a result, they can bond with food particles, and you can ingest them unknowingly. The presence of PTFE particles in your stomach and intestines is risky.
How Do I Know Which Granite Stone Cookware is Safe?
Since not all granite stone pans are created equally, you can differentiate between the safe and unsafe options. Here are a couple of tips to guide you;
Keep Off PTFE and PFOA Pots and Pans
Allow us to emphasize one more time the importance of avoiding PTFE and PFOA pans. Always read through the ingredients of cookware. If you see Teflon, PTFE or PFOA, run for your dear life. We have already mentioned the health risks of inhaling toxic fumes and ingesting Teflon.
Consider Vitreous Enamel Granite Stone Cookware
A suitable granite stone frying pan should be made out of vitreous enamel. This refers to a set of pans that are PTFE and PFOA-free. They also don’t contain lead. You can quickly identify vitreous enamel cookware by looking at it. It has a shiny glass-like look. It doesn’t produce any fumes at high temperatures and is also non-stick. They are also more durable than their Teflon counterpart.
How to Safely Use Granite Stone Cookware?
A granite pan can last more than two years if used correctly and properly cared for. Obviously, different brands vary in durability. But here are a couple of tips on how you can safely use Granite stone cookware;
- Always give the pan time to cool before washing it. The sizzling sound a hot granite pan makes with water may seem exciting, but it accelerates wear. Remember, these pans are made with different materials that expand and contract separately.
- Always clean the pan gently with a cloth or cotton dish towels to prevent scrapping off the layers.
- Avoid stacking pans. This often creates friction when the pans are being moved, which can promote wear.
- Don’t always wash granite stone cookware in the dishwasher. The continuous banging can lead to the cracking of the pan.
- It’s a good idea to always stick to medium heat with granite stone pans. If you want to cook something in the oven, use stainless steel cookware.
- Switch to wooden spatulas, as these won’t scratch the granite stone coating when cooking.
Are There Any Other Good Things about Granite Stone Cookware?
Apart from being safe for cooking, here are a couple of other good things you should know about this cookware material;
- Granite stone is non-reactive. Whether you are using ingredients such as lemon or vinegar, you can be assured there won’t be any reactions. With this cookware, you will never notice any metallic flavors in food.
- This material is easier to clean and maintain.
- The best granite frying pans don’t contain harmful ingredients such as PFOA, PTFE, or lead.
- Granite stone is an excellent conductor of heat.
- Cookware made of granite stone is light and easy to use when cooking.
- These pots and pans are also non-stick. And this non-stick mechanism is pretty durable.
The Bottom Line
Granite cookware is a healthy choice for residential and commercial kitchens. This material is non-stick, light, easy to clean, and conducts heat relatively well. However, when shopping for granite cookware, ensure that you check the ingredients and avoid those that contain PFOA, PTFE, and lead. Hopefully, our guide has answered your question: Is granite cookware good for your health?