Bed bugs are a type of arthropod that can cause serious problems for humans. They are small and brown with a long, oval-shaped appearance. They feed on human blood and can transmit diseases such as hepatitis B, C, and HIV.
People often don’t realize they have bed bugs because they only see the bites on their skin. Instead, bed bugs can be seen by looking for their fecal matter or eggs in your mattress, box spring or other furniture items that have been infested with them. So in this article, let’s give rise to the information on how to prevent and control bed bugs.
What is a Bed Bug Infestation?
Bed bugs are small, brownish insects that feed on the blood of humans and animals. They are very hard to see because they are nocturnal and hide in dark crevices. In a bed bug infestation, you will find these insects crawling under your sheets or biting your skin at night. This is why it is important to take care of the problem as soon as you notice it.
The most common signs of an infestation include:
- Red welts or bites around the bed frame.
- Small dark spots on sheets, mattress, or box spring.
- Hairs on the bed frame and sheets.
- Blood stains on pillowcases or sheets.
- Bed bug fecal spots, shed skins, or egg shells of where they hide.
- Musty odor from the scent of bed bugs’ glands.
If you have these signs of infestation, it’s time to take power and contact the nearest pest control services. If no signs are indicated but you are afraid bed bugs may take up your home, following these preceding methods can help you.
Prevention Methods to Avoid Bed Bugs
Bed bugs are a common problem these days and they can be found in many places – your home, hotel, and even public transportation.
There are some ways to prevent bed bugs from infesting your home or workplace;
- Keep your home clean and clutter-free. It is important to vacuum, wash clothes in hot water, and wash dishes as soon as possible.
- Be careful about where you shop when buying furniture or other products because bed bugs may be hiding in the packaging material or inside the furniture itself.
- Keep your pets at home and away from furniture, bedding, and clothes. This is to avoid the spread of bugs.
- Don’t share towels, beds, or other personal items with other people without first washing in hot water.
- If you suspect that a bed bug infestation has occurred in your home, contact the health department immediately.
Pest Control Plus is a bed bug heat treatment company that uses innovative methods to give customers the most accurate and effective treatment possible. They use different processes to detect the types of bed bugs in their customers’ homes and then create an individualized treatment plan based on their findings. But the most usual and effective action they recommend is heat treatment. This is because heat treatment is more cost-efficient and avoid toxic insect repellent as possible.