The kitchen is a central feature in any home. One of the busiest rooms of your house, whether you’re cooking, eating or entertaining guests, your kitchen ought to meet your practical needs as well as suit your preferences when it comes to design. From cottage charm and contemporary to shaker style and Scandinavian interior design, there are a number of different ways you can style your kitchen. In this article, we’ve laid out some suggestions on areas to focus on when remodeling your kitchen to make this room feel like the heart of your home.
Your kitchen probably experiences the most footfall when compared to other rooms in your home so it is important to choose flooring which is suitable for its multi-purpose function. From children and pets running in and out of the backyard to the family gathering to eat their meals each day, the flooring in this room should be long lasting, durable and simple to maintain.
Consider which materials which are moisture resistant and can handle all the spills and splashes that occur in a kitchen. When it comes to cleaning, you want a floor that’s easy to sweep or mop and can withstand the ingredients in your cleaning products. Some great kitchen flooring options include vinyl, cork, laminate, hardwood and tile.
When deciding on kitchen furniture and accessories give thought to how you want to organize your kitchen and whether you will have ample storage available to keep it looking tidy and uncluttered. With your cutlery, ingredients and tableware neatly tucked away you will also have more space to perform your duties. Below are some of the features to bear in mind when designing your new kitchen:
- Under Sink Cabinet: The space below your kitchen sink is the ideal place to store items such as cleaning supplies, recyclable bags and dish cloths or rags.
- Pullout Recycling Bins: Save valuable floor space by tucking away your recycling bins as a slide-out feature inside a cupboard. This is also a good way to keep odors at bay.
- In-built Drawer Organizers: Drawers that are fitted with this feature will keep your cutlery neatly organized and easy to find and can give your kitchen a high-spec feel.
- Built-in Spice Rack: Having your spice jars neatly arranged can save you valuable time trying to find what you need and can also add a colorful visual display to your kitchen.
- Pull-Out Pantry: A pull-out pantry is a great way to store your kitchen supplies in a tidy, organized and easily accessible manner.
Your lighting choices can instantly transform the look and feel of your kitchen. By incorporating, task, accent and ambient lighting you are able to give this room the right illumination depending on the purpose.
From direct, overhead lighting when preparing meals to a softer, intimate feel when hosting dinner parties, create the effect you want in your kitchen through your choice of lighting fixtures. Wall sconces, spotlights, cabinet or countertop lighting are some of the popular choices for this room as well as central features such as statement pendant lights.
Follow the three tips above when planning your kitchen remodel to ensure the result is both practical and pleasing to the eye.