There are different times that you will need to measure your sink. Before you start any of measurement, you should know what kind of tools you need, and how to measure a kitchen sink? You may need to measure for installation of a new sink. You also have to measure when installing new countertops. You need accurate sink measurements when replacing a sink too. Accurate measurements are important when it comes to any of these situations. There are easy ways to get perfect measurements every time. No matter what task is at hand.
When You Have to Measure the Old Sink
Start measuring the depth of the sink. Use a straightedge and tape measure for this. Lay the straightedge along the top with the tape measure at the bottom. You want to measure the distance up to the straightedge. This is important because some newer sinks have deep basins. These may extend much lower and will not drain efficiently.
Using a tape measure from the left bottom edge of the sink, measure the length. You want to measure from a point just a little higher than where the basin starts to curve. Take the measurement across the sink to the exact same point on the bottom right side.
The width of the sink needs to be measured from the front to the back. Place the tape measure at the bottom, back edge of the sink. Make sure it is just above the curve. Measure the width to the front bottom edge. Again, you will be just above the curve.
Extra Tips to Remember
- You may also have to calculate the lip width. This will be for top-mounted sinks and drop-in sinks. The lips will extend from the basin over the counter top. To calculate this, flip the sink over and put a ruler or tape measure against the basin. Measure the edge of the lip. Do not forget this measurement when making your calculations.
- Don’t forget the width of the cabinet. Measure the size of the cut-out that is in your cabinet. You will need to crawl under the sink to do this. On the underside of the sink, measure from the left top corner of the cabinet to the opposite top corner. Your new sink must not be wider than this or it will not fit.
Measuring the Countertop Hole
When removing an old sink, you should always ask for help. They can be heavy and awkward to move and you do not want to damage the counter. One of you should work from under the sink while the other works from above. Measure the hole left in the countertop.
Taking the tape measure, measure the length from the right edge of the opening to the left. In the same way, measure the width of the hole from front to back. Take these measurements with you when you go to purchase a new sink. The sizes of new sinks will be listed on their packaging so you can compare before you buy. Ask for assistance from a store employee if you need help getting a sink that matches your measurements. They can also assist you with how to measure a kitchen sink easily.
Important Things to Remember
- Top-mounted sinks will have a lip so the basin measure on a new sink can be slightly smaller than the hole you measured.
- Undermount Kitchen Sinks fit directly into the hole you measured, so you need to get an exact fit.
Measuring the Sink for New Countertop Installation
Some new sinks will come with a template that you can use. These will lay on the counter for you to trace with a pencil. Always use this if your sink comes with one as they reduce the amount of measuring you will need to do.
If there is not a template, make your own. Simply trace the outline of your new sink on to your counter. To make a template, place the sink on the counter, upside-down. You need to leave a 1.5 inch space between the back of the sink and the backsplash when drawing your template. Use a marker or pencil to trace the sink and then you can move it safely out of the way.
- Special Note: If you have a top-mounted sink, you need to measure the lip. While the sink is on the counter upside down, measure to the edge of the lip against the sink basin. Add this lip measurement to the template to get a more accurate drawing. Subtract 0.125 inch from the width of the lip that you just measured and mark this within the outline on your template.
Mark the cut out lines. Using a straight edge, connect all the lines you have drawn. This completed template is now your guide for making a hole for your new sink.
Whatever project you have, measuring a sink accurately is important. Cutting a hole for a new sink, replacing an old one, or installing new counters. Each task needs accurate measurements or you will end up with a sink that does not fit. You need to know how to measure a sink easily and you can, with our instructions and tips. To get the Best Kitchen Sink to fit in your kitchen, follow our tips, and the task will be done before you know it. And you will have a brand new sink to enjoy.